Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Champion Anand wins battle of Bonn, retains title

Eventually, it needed a draw to bring about Viswanthan Anand’s biggest career-title and end the challenger’s reign as the undefeated matchplay player in the World chess championship history. Needing to stay undefeated to touch the winning score of 6.5 points, Anand came up with an expectedly solid performance with white pieces and crossed the finish line in just 24 moves spread over just under three hours.The end was rather sedate once Anand allowed Kramnik to play Sicilian Defence with black for the first time in the match. Anand, who found his rival’s queen-move on the ninth turn a little “tricky,” kept control over the proceedings. Eventually, a hapless Kramnik offered a draw which Anand happily accepted. “I am more relieved than happy,” said Anand soon after accepting the glass trophy that symbolised his extended stay as the champion of the world. At the post-match conference, Kramnik was most gracious in defeat. “I think I learnt a lot of things from this match. I think it was very interesting all the way. When you are playing against a player like Vishy, you can lose.
“I am disappointed but not very sad. I made certain mistakes with my preparations and I will have to go back and get better.”

Anand said, “Yesterday’s rest day came at the wrong time. When you just lose a game when you need just half-a-point from three games, it is tough. You want to get on with it. I won’t say I had a very pleasant rest day. But it feels good to keep the title. I thank my wife and my team of seconds who gave all the support I needed.”He brushed aside all suggestions of looking at retirement since he had won everything the game had to offer. “I am going to play on. But for now, I am going to rest for a while. The last few months have been tough,” he said.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP