Terror struck the country’s financial capital late tonight as “coordinated” serial explosions (12 of them ) & indiscriminate firing rocked areas across Mumbai. City was held on gun point as terrorist fired gun shots on the streets of the city. Which at this point of time seems like complete planned attack. City beared a Gaza strip look with gun being fired from AK-47 and grenade being shot at will. Several police personal and citizen were dead. Foreign nationals, Anti Terrorist Squad officers & Media persons were targeted. The first incident took place between 10.15 pm and 10.30 pm when bullets, apparently from automatic weapons, were fired at police and paramilitary forces outside the Taj Mahal Hotel in south Mumbai. Minutes later, bullets were fired near Hotel Trident - another five-star hotel - barely a kilometre away from the Taj. Trident is in a high security zone and lies just behind Air India and Maharashtra legislature buildings. Unidentified persons also opened random firing near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, headquarters of the Central Railway, which is a world heritage building and remains crowded almost throughout the day. According to sources, two men rushed into a local train stationary at CST and fired indiscrimately.
- The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower,Apollo Bunder, S.Mumbai
- Hotel Oberoi/Trident Nariman Point,S.Mumbai
- Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Railway Station
- Police headquarters in S. Mumbai
- Metro cinema, S. Mumbai
- JJ school of Art, N.A. M. G. Road, Fort, S.Mumbai
- Leopold's restaurant, Colaba, Nawroji F Road,S.Mumbai
- Blast in a taxi in Vile Parle, N.Mumbai
- Western Expressway, S.Mumbai
- Cama Hospital, Mahapalika Marg, S.Mumbai
Sequence of events:-
- Millitants enter city via sea on boat.
- Cafe Lehold, Nawroji F Road,Colaba, South Mumbai faces first attack at (09:30 PM IST, Wednesday, 26/11/2008)
- Militants open fire at CST,Railway Station & UNESCO World Heritage Site(10:15PM IST)
- Gun battle at Metro cinema (10:20 AM IST)
- Millitants enter Cama Hospital, (10:30PM IST)
- Militants hijack police gypsy and open fire on public at Colaba with AK-47, AK-56 & hand grenades (10:33PM IST)
- Hotel Taj was one of the flashpoint, where 17 blasts has been reported so far (10:45 PM IST).
- ATS chief Hemant Karkare (IPS) broght dead at JJ Hospital with 3 bullets, after leading operation at Cama hospital (02:20 AM IST, Thursday, 27/11/2008)
- ATS officer Ashok Kamte killed at cross fire with millitants at Metro cinema.
- Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, JJ school of Art is under attack
- More than 100 people have been killed & 387 have been injured.
- 9 terrorist have been killed in encounter in Hotel Taj.400 people were rescued from Hotel Taj & 170 from hotel Oberoi.
- 2 terrorists (alleged) have been captured by ATS (5:30 AM IST)
- 177 of 195 dead are Indian national rest 18 are foreigners.
- Several people are held as hostages in Hotel Taj, Nariman Point & Oberoi(Trident)
- Milltary has started several operations with ATS, CRPF, STF, Mumbai Police ( including CST which is now under millitary control).
- Navy being called by Home Ministry, central.
- NSG (National Security Guards) commandos have been air lifted from New Delhi to Mumbai for anti-terrorists operations (05:00 AM IST, Thursday, 27/11/2008)
- NSG reaches Mumbai (07:00 AM IST)
- No order from Police commisioner & Home Ministry to start operation.
- City under complete control of Military, NSG, STF,ATS,CISF & Mumbai Police.
- 'Deccan Majahedeen' claims responsibilities of attack via e-mail to news agencies/channels.
- Cama Hospital cleared of milittants. Under army control now. (08:30 AM IST)
- A couple and old lady dies in 'threat firing' early in morning (08:45 AM IST)
- NSG trying to negotiate with millitants but fails. (08:45 AM IST)
- NSG commandos (200 of them) with help of STF, ATS,Military (5 columns, 800 in numbers) & Navy starts special operation to gush out millitants now, probably 2 or 3 of them. 6 foreign nationals among 15-20 hostages. (08:50 AM IST)
- Few (approx.40) people, all civilians, move out of the hotel as NSG moves in. (09:10AM IST)
- Anti-terrorist operations on at 3 places viz. Taj Palace, Hotel Oberoi (also known as Trident) & Nariman Point (09:20AM IST)
- An hour after operations began, no clue about the progress as no gun-shots heard in last 30-35 minutes(10:30 AM IST)
- NSG asks media not to go into detail of operation on air as millitants might be wtching on TV. Media asked to take cautious approach at immensely tense and vulnerable situation (10:35 PM IST)
- Citizens,World & Media wait & watch as NSG and rest do hard job at ground zero.30-35 persons remain hostage, including 2MPs (10:50 AM IST)
- DGP AN Roy : " Complicated operation, time factor not known". Terrorists are believed to be asking ransom. Operation continues.....(13:25 HRS IST)
- Hotel Taj Palace free of hostages, search on there for any hiding terrorists. Final assault at Taj. Hostage crisisis at hotel Trident/Oberoi & Nariman point. NSG go all out at terrorist at these 3 places. (14:30 HRS IST)
- Coast Gaurd & Indian Navy launch massive search operation at Indian coasts looking for escaping millitant's boat (14:45 HRS IST)
- Indian coast Guard & Indian Navy get hold of MV Alpha by which terrorists supposedly reached Mumbai (via Gateway of India) from Karachi Port, Pakistan(15:45 HRS IST)
- 6 Blasts occur in Oberoi in last 15 minutes, gunbattle continues at Trident & Nariman Place. (16:05 HRS IST)
- Atleast 200 people are feared stuck in Hotel Oberoi as intense gunbattle continues to rescue citizens of difffrent nations. (17:45HRS IST)
- 6 fresh blasts at hotel Oberoi/Trident & Nariman house (18:00 HRS IST)
- Fire again breaks out at Taj Palace (18:10 HRS IST).
- 1 alive terrorist of Pakistan national captured from Taj hotel (18:25 HRS IST).
- Terrorist kill their own head, who was master mind of this attack, body was recovered by STF in Mumbai (19:00 HRS IST)
- Hotel Taj palace is now free of militants, struggle continues at Oberoi though, 2 force personnel killed. (22:00 HRS IST)
- 26th hrs after it all started, the fight continues as brave hearts continue their fights & Mumbai struggle for euillibrium (23:00 HRS IST)
- 7 rescued from Hotel Oberoi including 3 foreigners (00:05 HRS IST)
- Rescue operations carry on at Hotel Oberoi (00:30HRS IST)
- 2 NSG commandos injured in operation at Hotel Oberoi (02:30 HRS IST)
- Fresh fire break out Hotel Oberoi (03:00 HRS IST)
- More person brought out of Taj Palace (05:00 HRS IST)
- Army,NSG & STF decides to air drop commandos at Nariman point as it gets difficult to gush them out (05:45 HRS IST)
- Operation continues at Oberoi & Nariman place (07:30 HRS IST)
- More grenades blasts at Nariman Point (08:30 HRS IST)
- Helicopter continue to hover around Nariman Point, as rescue operation continues (09:45 HRS IST)
- Operation reaches decisive phase as security forces corner terrorist at Nariman point (10:05 HRS IST)
- Civilians are finally evacuated from Nariman point (10: 25 HRS IST)
- Trident is under control of NSG as 2 terrorist are shot dead says NSG (14:30 HRS IST)
- Operation continue at Taj and Nariman house (15:00 HRS IST)
- Heavy firing at Nariman point and Taj palace. Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil says police has strong proof of Pakistan's involvement. There is no formal announcement though. (16:20 HRS IST)
- Heavy firing at Taj Palace as army launches grenade attacks. No remaining survivors at Taj (16:45 HRS IST)
- 45 hours after it started on 26/11/2008 at (21:50 HRS IST) NSG commandos get full control of Hotel Oberoi & Nariman house (18:28 HRS IST), serach is going on for any explosives inside these 2 buildings. 2 terrorist are killed at Nariman House
- Meanwhile. heavy firing continue at Taj Palace (18: 35 HRS IST)
- Two terrorist held by security forces, interrogation starts. Meanwhile, heavy firing continues at Taj Palce (21:15 HRS IST)
- PM of India: "We have strong evidence of Pakistani involvement"
- Pakistan's official spokesperson strongly denies India's allegation.
- ISI chief to visit India for intelligence co-operation.
- The operation got finally over after 59 hours at 08:05 HRS IST 29/11/2008 of fight by security forces. Heavy firing were exchanged as 1500 rounds of gun shots were exchanged. Fire intensified as day broke down and darkness gave way to bright day light making it easier for security forces to intensify operation. 5 terrorist are killed at Taj Palace. (08:05 HRS IST 29/11/2008)
ATS officers under attack:-
- ATS Special squad ACP, Ashok Kamte (IPS), is reported to have died in Operation
- ATS encounter specialist ACP Vijay Salaskar (IPS) is also dead as bullet hits his head in cross-fire.
- ATS chief Hemant Karkare (IPS) is dead in operation.
- 3 more senior ATS officers of IPS ranks are fighting for their life in hospitals.
- 16 police personnel including 4 senior officers (3 of IPS Rank) died in operations. 2 SI, 2 ASI & 6 constables include among police deaths.
- STF, NSG, Millitary & ATS trying to crack into hotels. Cross fire still on.
- CISF deployed at airport.
- Millitary & STF do flag march to restore normalcy in the city
- Fire still on at Taj Palace.
- Emerging hostage situation in Taj Palace, Oberoi hotel and Cama Hospital.
- All educational institute & Govt,PVT. office to remain close today.
- No trading at BSE & NSE: SEBI
- Domestic & international flights cancelled/delayed
- Local train run late
- England cricket tour of India has been cancelled.
- Championship matches shifted out of Mumbai.
- Australia rejects to visit India for T-20 cricket championship.
Injured people in the terror attack at Oberoi Hotel in Mumbai being carried away by police personnel to hospital COP OUT: Mumbai cops stand guard after the shooting inside Chhatrapati Shivaji Railway Terminus.
An Injured being carried out of Hotel Taj,Mumbai,India. Atleast 10 attacks have been reported so far, news are still pouring in.
In what looks like fresh attack of terror, firing has been reported from 9 different places, while blasts have occurred in two different places. There are conflicting reports about the firing, with some reports putting it down as AK 47 fire, while others reports put it down to machine gun fire. The firing has taken places at the CST railways station, Colaba, Nariman point and outside the Taj and the Oberoi hotel. Firing is still going on in the Taj hotel, with reports saying that 4 terrorists could be holed up inside.Blasts have been reported from Majhgoan and Vile Parley. Police sources have put the number of injured between 240 to 250.The attack could be a possible act of terror, police say. Two separate incidents of firing reported from south Mumbai on Wednesday night, one in Colaba and another near CST station and around ten to twelve people are feared injured.One policeman is reported to be injured in the firing in Colaba. Gunshots were heard near CST station. The shootouts took place at Colaba and CST while a grenade exploded at Mumbai CST. Additional Commissioner of Police Deven Bharti confirmed the shootout at Colaba but did not give out details and say if there was any casualty.Police cordoned off the CST and none was allowed to enter it.Two persons armed with automatic weapons and hand grenades are reportedly holding up inside CST stations.Sounds of gunshots are still being heard. Hundreds of onlookers gathered outside the station. The station and premises has been evacuated.FURTHER NEWS IS AWAITED... One policeman was injured in the firing at Colaba and a number of people were wounded at CST where two armed men opened indiscriminate area.Colaba is one of the most congested and high-profile areas of Mumbai and CST the busiest railway station. The shootouts took place at Leopold Café in Colaba and CST while a grenade exploded at Mumbai CST. Additional Commissioner of Police Deven Bharti confirmed the shootout at Colaba but did not give out details and say if there was any casualty. Police cordoned off the CST and none was allowed to enter it.However, other reports suggested that at least 15 people were wounded in shootings near the Oberoi and Taj Mahal hotels and local television said it could be a terror attack.There were reports of firing around several landmark buildings in the Colaba-Nariman Point area, including the Taj hotel, Oberoi and other tourist attractions and pubs like Leopold's. The top floor of Oberoi was said to be on fire amid reports of blasts in the area and blood-smeared bodies were being brought out of the Taj lobby. Firing and blasts were also reported from Mazgaon, the Metro Junction, Crawford Market and Colaba. There were reports of a blast in a taxi on the Western Express Highway, near Vile Parle, but there was no confirmation. The firing and bombing apparently started close to the Gateway of India. The gunbattle then moved on towards CST and raged on for over 45 minutes from 10 pm, sending commuters running out of the station. The assailants also fired into the crowd at CST and people on the trains and then ran out of the station themselves and into neighbouring buildings, including Cama Hospital, after being challenged by cops. SRPF personnel then entered the iconic BMC building -- just opposite CST -- to take aim at the assailants, BMC commissioner Jairaj Phatak said. "We fear some of the assailants are still inside the station and we want to catch them if they come out," a police official said. Vikhroli police station senior inspector Habib Ansari was on his way to work from his Colaba home when he saw two armed men, with sophisticated weaponry, trying to run into bylanes near the Gateway of India. "I rushed back to Colaba and all policemen, including GRP and RPF personnel, were called up," he added. Bhisham Mansukhani, a journalist, was attending a wedding reception at the Taj's Crystal Room. "I was inside the bar when glass shards almost hit my eye," he said. "More than 200 people were escorted inside Chambers, a business centre inside the hotel," he added.